Thursday 3 January 2013

The Life Giving Bread Bin

DAY 1,

As promised, I am back to update you on my endeavors of the day.


 I purchased some eggs from the local farm. The tough part - I have no idea if the are fertilized or not.

I candled them earlier, they were all clear and appeared completely infertile. I was disappointed sure, but I shrugged it off and ordered some fertilized hen eggs online. They should be here next Tuesday, hopefully.

I went to throw some pancakes together, and happened to use one of the new eggs. This is what I discovered.



It had a bullseye!
Now if you can't see it (it's not the best photo) I converted the same photo to black and white so that it shows up a lot clearer.
See! It's above the lamp reflection!

So of course, I decided to give the eggs another chance - well, the ones that escaped the frying pan.

The are cosy and warm in my bread box incubator. I can't wait till day eight, when I can be sure they are fertile or infertile. But there is a problem...I ordered those eggs online too! I am in a bit of a pickle. 

I have about a month until things are completely certain, so I need to get a coop prepared! I have plenty ways to get wood, I think I have chicken wire in the back garden, so it can't be that hard...can it?

Oh well, I can worry about that tomorrow, right now I am going to show you my incubator and how I made it!

I started off with a plain old wooden bread bin, as you can see below, it's not much.
Plain old boring box

This is the inside, 
  • I lined it with some floor underlay to stop any chicks injuring themselves against the sides
  • A soft blanket to ensure a super warm bed 
  • A heat lamp to keep the eggs warm
  • A water dish (not in photo) to ensure a good moisture level
  • Some chicken wire to stop any chicks touching the hot bulb (not in photo)
  • A thermometer as well as a thermostat to ensure exact temperature



Outside
Thermostat - i pinched from my Bearded Dragon's tank.


Cables tidied with parcel tape.



To ensure a good air flow and to reduce the temp. a wee bit I added these holes in the lid.
 It also gives me a chance to peak in at the thermometer and check how hot it is without actually opening the incubator.


Well, that's me done so far, I will update you when the next big event happens!

Night World.

No comments:

Post a Comment