Tuesday 8 January 2013

I'm afraid to say...

...my first batch of eggs is destined for destruction.

My power went out last night while I was sleeping - so my incubator lost power too.
I have no idea how long the eggs were left cold, all I know is that when I found them, they felt as if they had just come out of the fridge.
I will have to dispose of them. To be honest, I had little hope for these eggs when I noticed they weren't developing fast enough.

On the bright side... my new eggs arrived today!
So space in the incubator is needed any, for these beautiful little brown eggs. I was a little cautious about ordering eggs from Ebay as I know what scams people can do. Before I ordered anything, I checked out the reliability from reviews and success rate. The seller had 100% positive feedback. I read through many reviews - all positive - about great fertility rates and perfect packaging.
I ordered 6 Cuckoo Maran Bantam eggs when my initial eggs started to go downhill. How fast was that delivery! They are beside the incubator right now and will settle till tomorrow morning before being put into the incubator.

Okay, I got distracted while writing this and have new information on the old eggs, I have two left - and keeping them.

I check all of my eggs before throwing them out. Each time I plan on doing it I crack one of them open to make sure I'm not throwing out a whole batch of developing eggs.

On day 5 with no signs of life inside the eggs when candling, I prepared to dispose of them.
I cracked one open to find this:





Right in the middle - a heart. and it's beating. (not great quality now it's online - but it is there) If you open it to fullscreen, change it to HD. Quality improves a bit.

That concludes it - the older eggs are staying, so I have 8 eggs all together. I need to figure out what to do though - they are on day 5 but appear on day 4. The new eggs are on day 1. I am going to do some research and ask some chicken experts for advice.

Night world.

No comments:

Post a Comment