Wednesday 2 January 2013

The Chick And The Duck

Hi world,

After watching an episode of Friends earlier today - the one with the chick and the duck - it sparked my memory of when I attempted to incubate eggs a few years back. Now, with a much better knowledge on the subject, I'm going to try again.

 If anyone out there wants to give it a try, and like me is a complete beginner in the subject, please follow my blog version first. You will either learn from my mistakes or echo my success. Whichever it is, this will hopefully help. I'm making my own incubator - I am not spending my wages on something that has been successfully homemade for years. It is made from the bread bin that has been unused for months (the bread actually sits beside the box). 

Padded with tissue paper and a blanket, I have began to transform this into an incubator. To maintain a steady temperature of 99-101 degrees, I have fitted my bearded dragons spare heat mat underneath the blanket. This is now attached to a thermostat reading 99 and a thermometer is in where the eggs will be so there is no chance of the temperature being wrong. If I can find the right light fitting tomorrow, I will be using a heat lamp instead but for now this will do. For the humidity level, I have no humidity reader, but I think i can find one tomorrow when searching for a lamp fitting. Brooding box will be an unused drawer, it seems the perfect height for newly hatched chicks (fingers crossed they do!). 

Report back tomorrow night for another update and some photos of my homemade incubator.

Night world.

No comments:

Post a Comment